Saturday, July 26, 2008

Where is my thesis?

OMG!!! According to David Bossie, apparently a conservative blogger extraordinaire, because Obama can't find his independent study paper from 1983 on Soviet nuclear disarmament negotiations, he must be a liar. Therefore, I am a liar, because I like Obama, could not find either my undergraduate or law school independent study papers if I had Mr. Bossie holding a Glock with a full clip pointed at my temple (which he can now buy, keep and presumably use thanks to the Right Thinkers on the Supreme Court).

But let's think about this Swift Boat Redux preview.

Let's assume Obama was in favor of the unilateral disarmament of the US. Junk the nukes - give peace a chance. Our Soviet brethren would no doubt be inspired to do likewise. End of discussion. 40 pages or so of idealistic college senior analysis. Believed every word of it and would argue for hours on end with anyone who would listen. Got an "A" cause he was no doubt writing it for one of those liberal college professors that are poisoning the minds of young America.

My reaction: who cares. I hope to God that no one expects me to believe some of the bilge I spouted in college (which by the way, was a whole lot closer to the present intolerant, close-minded, let the facts be damned full speed ahead current conservative view of world than I would ever wish to admit!) Yes, I actually recall saying that if we left Vietnam the Commies would take over, as the dominoes fell inexorably toward Armageddon. I also recall that I came within a single ill-considered moment of voting for Richard Milhous Nixon (reason did triumph at the last minute).

The point is that we need to elect someone capable of principled flip-flopping. Not your average "I'll say what it takes to be elected" flip-flopping. That is truly bad. But someone who with a clear conscience can say "this is what I believed yesterday, this is what I believe today, and here's why". Not someone who despite a veritable hurricane of contrary evidence will stick to the same position no matter what, clinging to the mast of that sinking philosphical ship as it disappears below the waves of changed circumstances, new realities and the hard-won wisdom of experience - a former Governor of Texas and CEO of Halliburton come to mind here. No, give me that guy who reads the papers (the part with the words, even the big ones), visits the library and reads the books (even the thick ones) and then says, "I am not sure what I thought the facts warranted yesterday still applies today," and then proceeds to advocate a coherent belief and plan consistent with the facts revealed by thoughtful research and analysis.

Or is that too complicated for the normal conservative mind?

No comments: